Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), Neonatal Death and Stillbirth are bound by the same tragic issues:
- The loss of a child is something that no parent should have to suffer
- Greater research is required to continue to reduce the numbers affected
- It is often sudden, without warning and with no clues in previous medical history or scans
- It often affects the seemingly strong and healthy
- There are often no explanations found as to the cause of death
- The sense of loss, the devastating grief is exaggerated due to the lack of explanation
- Bereavement counselling and services, so fundamental to help families look forward and try to find hope and happiness again, are predominantly funded by charitable donations.
- Both require funding for research, development and investment in post-care support services.